Print This Page
GUIDELINES TO SELF-HYPNOSIS These steps in and out of hypnosis are merely guides, guiding you in and out of self-hypnosis. As you progress and become more proficient you will find what best guides YOU in and out of self-hypnosis.
When first practicing and learning, I suggest a quiet, undisturbed place to sit down comfortably. It is best not to lie down at first as your mind has a tendency to go to sleep on you.
1. Sit down in a comfortable position and quietly begin saying to yourself your personal keywords and/or phrases or 'mantra'.
2. In the beginning you may want to use a technique called 'eye-fixation'. For example stare at a spot on the wall, ceiling or in a picture. (please feel free to download the moving spiral above) When you have become more proficient this will not be necessary. Suggest to yourself, "As I stare at this spot my eyelids are getting heavier and heavier, soon they will get so heavy they will close and stay closed until I tell them to open".
3. Take three (3) slow 'deep' breaths. The first is to relax yourself. The second is to MOVE into a state of hypnosis and deeper relaxation. And the third is to BE in a state of hypnosis.
4. Tell yourself how long you are going to be 'in' hypnosis. (10 minutes, 15 minutes, etc.) This teaches you to set your 'inner' clock.
5. Now start either at the tips of your toes or at the top of your head and move through each part of your body relaxing the muscles and releasing all stress, anxiety, frustration, etc. Saying 'relax', 'let go', 'deeper and deeper relaxed'.
6. Then imagine a staircase with ten (10) steps or a path that will lead you to your Special Place. Begin to count from 10 down to 1 or visa versa and either on 10 or 1 you will move into that special/safe place in your mind. Spend a few minutes there feeling, smelling, seeing, and hearing ...familiarize yourself with this Special/Safe Place. Ex: If, for instance, you chose the beach...HEAR the waves, SMELL and TASTE the salty sea mist, FEEL the warmth of the sand between your toes, just be completely at this beach..or mountains...or meadow...where ever you choose is right for you!
7. Now begin your self-talk of positive suggestions and imagery.
Count yourself up from 1-5 suggesting that you have enjoyed a wonderful relaxation and on 5 you will feel refreshed and wonderfully good! Open your eyes, take a deep energizing breath and stretch!
Note: If you do this before sleep you can suggest that on 5 you will move into a normal and natural sleep...until it is time for you to wake.
(Remember to set your mental alarm clock!)
Self-Hypnosis - When and Where to Practice?
An article by Barrie St John
I’m often asked about the best time or place to practice self-hypnosis. People want to increase their potential of getting the best possible experience. They also have a fear of doing it wrong.
What I tell people is that there is really no right or wrong time to practice self-hypnosis, and you will be able to determine what works best for you by trying different things. If you’ve tried self-hypnosis in the morning and you aren’t pleased with the result, or you find it difficult to relax for some reason, then try a different time frame next time. I would say that if you have the opportunity to try several different time frames, you should do so. This way, you will be able to determine whether there is a time of day that seems to work best for you, and then go with it.
It could be determined by other extraneous factors as well. You want to choose a time when your environment is quiet and you know you won’t be distracted by things like telephones and doorbells, or other general household activities.
The same logic applies to your selection of location. For successful self hypnosis you want to be comfortable, preferably lying down on your back. Over time, you may even find that the location becomes part of the overall experience, so consistency is great in this case.
You basically just need to pick a time and a place where you will be comfortable and you will not be disturbed or distracted by outside elements. If for whatever reason you decide that your routine isn’t quite as effective as you would like, then by all means apply a change to either the place or the time, or both, and then evaluate the improvement. It’s not an exact science, so it’s normal that you may want to try different arrangements until you settle into the one that works best for you.
I do follow my own advice, and I listen to a lot of my own self hypnosis recordings, which incidentally are available exclusively from HypnoShop.com – and my personal preference is to lie flat on my back, on my own bed. I like the early evening hours for self-hypnosis. But it’s up to each person to find that zone for his or her self.
If you are going to listen to a pre-recorded self hypnosis session, such as my own hypnosis CDs and downloads, then one final suggestion I might make is that you try using headphones. This reduces outside noises, and it provides a direct route to your brain. However, your self-hypnosis experience will certainly not be compromised without headphones.
In the end, it’s up to each of you to identify the approach that work best for you based on your own personal circumstances.
Print This Page
CD Order Form ARTICLES PHun PHobia PHacts Myths
of a TRANCE
Wonder WHY You SMOKE?
Take the TEST
FACTS about TOBACCO
AFTER You STOP SMOKING?
and Guidelines in Choosing
a Reputable Hypnotherapist
Katherine Fox, C.C.H.T.
An Office Visit
with Katherine Fox, CCHT
a Paper Written by CALLIE
Success Formula for
Do For You
Search Engine for Holistic Health Practioners
Comments & Questions
In HONOR of Those
Who Died From CIGARETTES
Common Uses in
History of Hypnosis Eating Disorder Information
Monday, April 05, 2010
©Katherine Fox, C.C.H.T....1996-2014
Return to HomePage